Sunday, March 2, 2014

Let the Good Times Roll: Technology Integration 101

As the title of my blog indicates I think of myself as a dedicated life long learner. I am most excited to learn more about "flipping" my classroom and how to integrate technology in meaningful ways for different levels of students.  I'm looking forward to sharing best practices and learning from the successes and the mistakes of others during the course.

I would not consider myself an expert really in anything when it comes to technology but I am an expert in how to avoid a crisis when technology fails!  This is not meant to be a negative statement, I still continue to try and integrate technology as often as I can. (Some call it perseverance others might call it stubborn!)  I feel like "baby steps" are my strength. I'm focusing now on how I can work technology in at the basics of the SAMR model starting with labs and activities. I have a few web based activities that have worked out well and one project on evolution using a program called Photo Story (see "Tools") that needs some fine tuning.

I am always looking for best practices on how to manage a classroom using 1:1 program, how to integrate a flipped classroom, how to keep kids engaged, how to spend less time grading and more time interacting with students and planning or creating lessons...my list is endless!

Last year my school corporation decided not to pursue 1:1 programs due to funding.  We do not have a grant writer for our district so it would be up to teachers and principals to do this.  The recent buzz is that we are going to implement 1:1 and our principals have been visiting schools around the state who have 1:1 programs that are successful. Anything that I can bring back to my school that will help make this process a success is much needed.

I sometimes get overwhelmed by all the "stuff" that we teachers are expected to do to make learning fun and engaging but at the same time relevant and challenging. It seems like an uphill battle...


1 comment:

  1. Handling a crisis is a crucial skill, Laura! It really makes a difference to the students when the teacher has handle on things! What's your secret? Inquiring minds want to know.... :>

    ReplyDelete